ALEXANDER IIIrd BRIDGE and THE INVALIDES
By Coline Duvall
T he Pont Alexander III shows the links between France and Russia. Its two golden Pegasi represent (on the left bank), War and (on the right bank), Peace. It embraces the prospect of invalids with first of all, the esplanade, then the hotel invalids.
The esplanade avenue Maréchal Galliéni traversal is settled by an alley of lime trees along flowerbeds grass 250 m x 500 m. In its extension, the garden is a beautiful space where gather sometimes kite enthusiasts. After the idea of King Henri IV, Louis XIV created in 1670 the institution coming for invalids to help the wounded and disabled reduced to begging.
The façade is displayed on 196 meters in length with at its centre, the triumphal arch portal featuring a statue of Louis XIV. The hotel houses three museums: plans and reliefs (strongholds with models), order of the Liberation (heroes and great moments of resistance) and the Museum of the Army.
The Museum of the Army represents one of the richest military museums in France with 500.000 parts from prehistory until the Second World War (armor, colors) .
The dome of the Invalides, Jules Hardouin-Mansart shines its 550,000 gold leaves. It is home to the Royal Chapel where lie the ashes of Napoleon 1st, protected by a sarcophagus consisting of six coffins of iron, lead, and precious wood.
The Berlioz Requiem was played for the first time in 1837 on St. Louis des Invalides church organ.