By Coline Duvall
A djacent to the Palace of the Senate, with its 23 hectares of greenery garden, the Luxemburg Garden is a true garden in the French style. One can spend hours to relax in a quiet location and in a pleasant and peaceful setting and surrounding. One can also read or simply admire nature.
For young children the Park Playground has been arranged for their pleasure. The Puppet Theatre regularly brings a wealth of toddlers. Pony rides are offered for children. It is also a great discovery to find a beekeeping school that shows its beehives and give honey lovers the opportunity to understand the secrets of honey production.
In 19th century one could rent newspapers for a few hours but garden is also today the gathering of bridge players and Chess enthusiasts. Former Orangery is nowadays Theatre of temporary exhibitions.
As a result of the assassination of Henri IV in 1610, the Medici Queen decided to build a new home in the Garden District of Luxemburg, near the Saint-Michel gate. She managed to constitute a vast area of 20 hectares by buying the hotel of François de Luxembourg and its neighboring properties.
Native of Florence itself, the Medici Queen drew on the Pitti Palace. But the architect traveled further to French tradition rather to the Italian model. After the "day of fools" in 1630 which devoted power to Richelieu, Louis XIII forced his mother into exile.
The princely palace transformed in prison during the revolution, now, for more than two centuries, welcomes a Parliamentary Assembly: the Senate seat here since 1879 and it was he who manages the garden planted with chestnut trees and flower beds that vary depending on the seasons for the pleasure of many Parisians and tourists.